Subject: LTM cameras, was: Re: [Leica] Yet Another Newbie
From: watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net (Stanislaw B.A> Stawowy)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 23:08:38 Lizbona/Warszawa - czas zimowy 0100

In his message MArk, The Rabid Radical Rabiner! wrote following
words of wisdom:
> Actually, I was under the impression that the LTMs collectively, at least by
> the Japanese, were all Barnack cameras.... I may be wrong, and perhaps one
> of our friends in the East (or is it the Far far West?) can help us!
> As far as I know, the cameras up to the IIIa were built-up, and didn't have
> the cast chassis, and perhaps that is the difference!

Actually in so called Central Europe. Not West nor East...

Probably I didn't understand the question. If you are asking if all early
Leica cameras were LTM? Of course no. Some of them had fixed lens
( ur-Leica for example (does anyone see here funny connection
with ur-villes from Covenant book???)) , some of them had interchangeable
lenses, but not indexed properly (Leica I w/o O on ring)...

If you are asking if all LTM cameras are Barnack cameras, answer is
again negative. Not Zorki 4K nor Canon 7, nor even Voigtlander/Cosina
Bessa R cannot be called Barnack camera. For example, none of LTM
Leicas had combined rangefinder/viewfinder, nor lever advance. Not even
quick loading <huge grin here>

If I misunderstood question, please retype this in Basic English <g also>

									St.

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: LTM cameras, was: Re: [Leica] Yet Another Newbie)