Subject: Re: [Leica] Kenya and long lens
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 06:28:55 -0700

Hi Tina,

I've used both the 400 & 560 f 6.8 and they are great lenses. Shot both hand
holding at Olympics and national sports events using the tubular shoulder stock.
Not the one that looks like a rifle shoulder stock. With that one bad guys have a
tendency to "shoot back !"  :-(

But with lions it's fine! They just growl. ;-)

I'd say, do not be deterred by the nay sayers, as they know not of what they speak,
certainly if they've never used these lenses in every day photography. Are they as
Apo looking as an Apo? Of course not, different kind of glass. But the 6.8 images
will stand up to viewing on a 10 X 10 ft. screen! And you will make viewers gasp at
the quality, not to mention how close you got to that growling snarling Tiger or
Lion. ;-)

I sold mine when the new 280 2.8 and extenders came out.  Been sorry ever since, as
there were times I could've used the lighter weight.

Another excellent item with the shoulder stock pistol grip is the  "micro switch"
to motor drive release that fires without heavy finger pressure, as it allows you
to fire the camera with a light finger tip touch.

The focusing is done with the sliding barrel of the lens, like a trombone, and if
you are looking at used, there are no new, well maybe some collector has one
ferreted away, shame. But make sure the sliding barrel isn't loose, but slides back
and forth smoothly.

I've used this lens shooting the Calgary Stampede where the horse and rider were
charging towards me full gallop with the sliding barrel focus right on the mark.
It's a little discerning at first, as the focusing action is to push the barrel
towards the subject, as it gets closer to keep it in focus, while the action of the
subject is coming at you like a full speed train .

Just remember it's a 400 and the subject is a fair distance from you and looks
closer. However, when it really more than fills the frame?  I'd get out of the way!
Quickly!;-)

ted

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Kenya and long lens)