Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique
From: "Bob Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:33:40 -0500

Hi Bill:
Hope I are a better photographer than I are a speller, even when using spell
check :>).  My intent was to point out there are many ways to use both M's
and R's successfully.  Your comment about Leica's potential for quality
equivalent to many MF systems has been verified to my satisfaction at
several large format printing workshops.  The Leica photographs were thought
to be made with MF, until we did a little field work.
Bob Stack

Bill Satterfield wrote:

> You ought to see Sam Abel's book,  Stay This Moment. I understand these
were taken
> on a tripod with a cable release and many were taken with a Leica. You can
use
> these two tools, along with good film and processing to produce images as
good as
> MF cameras
>
> Walter S Delesandri wrote:
>
> > Very well put, Bob.....and I too, use the 35mm camera as a "little 4x5",
> > at times....but if my MAIN subject interests were both readily
approachable
> > and static, I'd opt for at least a MF neg...but I'd still not leave home
> > without my Ms.....:) :) :)
> > Walt
> >
> > On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:23:06 -0500 Bob Stack <ticino@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Tina, Ted, Guy, Martin, Walter, Doug, et.al.
> > > On the sound advice of a Lugger of long standing, I have enjoyed
reading the
> > > LUG for several months before venturing a comment or two.  For
background, I
> > > use an M-6 with 21, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses, and an R-8 with,24, 50,
100 APO
> > > Macro and 180 APO lenses.  I use B&W film almost exclusively (sad
about APX
> > > 25) and do all my own printing in a wet darkroom.  And, I am a zone
system
> > > disciple.
> > > One of the great attractions to me of Leica is the wonderful
versatility of
> > > the system.  If I want to be unobtrusive, the M is often the best
solution,
> > > ala Ted, Tina, etc.  If I want to photograph wildlife that can kill me
if I
> > > get as close as Johnny does with people in his Human Traffic photos,
there
> > > is the R ala Doug.  Both systems adapt beautifully to zone system
work, or
> > > to any other method you might choose to employ.
> > > I have also found that on many occasions that the only way to capture
> > > particular image was to treat my Leica 35mm as a small 4x5, and that
certain
> > > images could not be readily captured in large format.  Example;  an
> > > electrified train emerging out of white-out snow and fog conditions.
The

Message from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] Erwin, photographic technique)