Subject: Re: [Leica] drymounting inkjet paper
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 14:02:46 -0700

Jesse Hellman wrote:

> Mark, how do you trim the pictures when you do the hinging? That is, if
> I want to show the black border, would you leave a margin outside that
> would be held down by the overmat? So, for example, 11x14 paper would
> have and image maybe of 7.5x11? I have dry mounted for years, but would
> prefer not to - there is always the risk of some surface damage.
>
> Jesse

Lots of variables on display. Yes i was thinking overmats!
I cut my mats about a half an inch around the borders of my prints;
and I usually print black border.
I'll cut a full inch under the print though because i sign the print, not the mat.
I often have my 8x10's on 11x14 boards or 14x18 a size i got from the Ansel
Adams First "The Print" book.
Did he call that "museum size"?
My 11x14's, the size I've standardized on now often go in 16x20 boards and frames.
Most of my shows are in 20x24 inch frames and are on 16x20 prints.
But inkjets I'm new to this year and have not matted or framed many.
I have many in boxes or in PRAT/PARIS books.
For some reason my images on letter sized paper are smaller than my 6x9 or 8x8
images i make on 8x10 paper in the black and white or color darkroom. So I'm
sure the mats would be cut smaller to fit these images.
A stack of matted prints will have off sized images in an off sized mat which
avoid the cliche's of :
A stack of 8x10's.
mark rabiner

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] drymounting inkjet paper)