Subject: [Leica] Re: drymounting
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 12:59:28 -0700

At 12:12 PM 10/1/00 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Hinging is where it is at now!
>Dry mounting is not done like it once was.
>It's even frowned on as not being archival.
>But gallery owners still get dry mounted prints from established older timers
>who don't feel a need to change and don't really have to.
>Dry mounting is reversible but not 100 percent always.
>And high heat is never good (but especially when the print is still wet)
>Once the paper behind glass it's no longer an issue.
>But in a stack their's the feel of the paper to think about.
>In a book with plastic pages: that works well with inkjets as well as RC's.
>My heavyweight Epson matte paper feels great in a stack.(Of 8.5x11's)
>Not quite as good as a stack of double weight Ilford Multigrade fiber
11x14's or 8x10's.
>mark rabiner

I guess my age is showing. I have a Seal 2500 press that will dry mount a
full 20x24 in one swell foop. And even though hinging is "the in thing" I
hate looking at those wrinkled prints under the glass and matt. I have
Calypso cold mount my Cibachromes and LightJets, but my and my daughters
B&W get the old fashioned clamp and heat treatment. On archival matt board
with archival dry mount tissue of course.

:-)

Jim