Subject: Re: [Leica] Still confused (was: 35, 90 and now 50mm?)
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:51:44 -0400

on 1/10/00 3:01 am, Bego at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

>> What would you do? "Travel light" and just stick with the 35 and 90mm-lens,
>> or buy the 50mm Summicron additionaly? What is your experience? Would the
>> 50mm 'cron be a wise completion or just another heavyweight to carry around?
>>
>> Buying a lens can be pretty difficult. :-)

Hi Bego

I was under cost constraints when I bought my M4 system in 1983 and though I
wanted a 35/50/90 combination I dropped out the 50 thinking I would buy one
later. Ever so often I look into the possibilities of buying a 50mm for my
now M6 system with its 35 and 90 (a pre-Asph Lux and a Tele-Elmarit) but
never do. The closest I came was when the collapsible f2.8 came out.

People say it's an awfully long way between 35 and 90 but I have found I
don't miss that middle ground with the M. I take 85-90 per cent with the
35mm and only occasionally do I fit the 90 to pull out details and capture
and isolated individual in a crowd.

Buy and live with the 35/90 combination before you 'plug the gap'. I always
felt if I bought a  50 I'd end up never using the 35 and the 90!

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Still confused (was: 35, 90 and now 50mm?))