Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica R 2.8/24
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:42:35 -0400

on 28/9/00 1:44 pm, Joachim Becker at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> Are there any opinions about the R 2.8/24?
>
> Need your advice ....

When I stopped shooting with Nikons I replaced a Nikon 20mm and 28mm with
the R 24mm Elmarit. I borrowed a beat up version from my dealer until my new
lens came in - this was 1984! I did some centre/edge test stuff and came to
the conclusion is wasn't as sharp a lens as the Macro Elmarit (!) but that
it was a lot better than it's reputation among R users suggested. It's a
very sharp Leica optic as opposed to a stunningly sharp...

I use it almost as a standard lens 16 years on - strangely the focusing ring
has never freed up with use and it is as stiff to focus today when it was
new despite my trying to wear it in. Depth of field is incredible and I love
the close focusing. The colour quality is excellent and matches slides from
other Leica lenses.

I still hanker after a wider lens but am in a quandary - the 21mm is too
close to the 24mm but the 19mm is too wide not to go unnoticed.

I bought a B+W Circ Pol filter Series VII for the lens hood but it was
undersize and wouldn't rotate in the holder! I use 60mm Heliopan filters
today screwed into the lens front rather than in the lens hood with great
results - the Slim line Heliopans show no vignetting.

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com