Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctiluces - was 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:55:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/00 11:34:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
apbbeijing@yahoo.com writes:

<< The 1.0 Noctilux is really terrific but does not match the focussing cams
of
 all my Ms (even those that work fine with more demanding lenses, for
 focussing accuracy, such as the 135 or 90/2): still a mystery to me why some
 lenses work perfectly with some cameras and not with others and there is
 little consistency. >>

I just re-read Erwin's evaluation of the f/1, at the site posted yesterday by
one of our more helpful members.  He mentions significant focus shift and a
"slower" ratio in the focus of the lens, requiring 9/4, or over twice, the
focusing collar movement needed with the Summicron-M, for the same cam
movement.  Finally, he finds that the lens is at its best recording very fine
details at f/1-2.8, with fine grain film, in low light, at distances of from
2 to 6 meters.  Otherwise, the Summicron-M is likely to equal or surpass the
Noctilux.
Your question, should you choose to answer, is whether your experience is
consistent with Erwin's.  Better yet, practical advice would be most welcome
to those of us using or contemplating purchase of the Noctilux.
Many thanks.

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Noctiluces - was 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Noctiluces - was 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH)