Subject: [Leica] Cable Release
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:29:58 -0400

LUG'ers

In the likely event I don't win the poetry contest:

I don't have a self-timer on my M, and I'd like to have the option to be
able to include myself in a picture or two when I'm on vacation next month.
I picked up one of those 15ft pneumatic releases, but I have come concerns
about using it.

The cable release screws into the shutter release button and a pin depresses
the mechanism internally ? The button doesn't seem to move, so this must be
the case.

Examining the cable release I purchased, the pin is very, very long -
perhaps 5/8 to 3/4" or more. I suppose this is the case as the release has
to fit a number of camera mechanisms.

If the pin is too long, can this cause some damage to the shutter release
mechanism ?

If the release was only 6-10", then a cautious user could "feel" the pin
depress the shutter and back off on the release. But being 10-15 feet away,
it's hard to tell when the shutter is tripped.

I can cut the pin to a shorter length (we have a well equipped machine shop
here at work). Is there a recommended length ? Does anyone have a genuine
Leica cable release out there who would be willing to measure the maximum
length of the pin required ?

Or am I worrying about nothing (or should I just pick up a Yashica T4 w/
35mm Zeiss when I need a group shot) ?

Please help.

William