Subject: Re: [Leica] printing questions
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:03:17 +0100

richard,

thanks for your response. i, too, am wondering whether the f-stop method is
worthwhile for me or not. while i'm satisfied with the 'traditional' way of
producing test strips, i occasionally do enlarge and reduce prints from my
'standard' size, and would be pleased if there were a reliable way of
calculating printing times between sizes. the f-stop method seems to be
just that, but, like you, it's not something i have immediately assimilated
after reading about it, and i don't know if for me it's worthwhile to spend
the time necessary to learn it.

i too tend to dodge and burn in percentages, for a couple of reasons. the
main one is that since dodging and burning times are essentially arbitrary
(i.e. you use whatever looks best to you), and it's often difficult for me
to tell the difference between a given area dodged 8 or 7 or 10 seconds, i
tend to start out by choosing a dodging/burning time that is some easily
identifiable percentage of the total initial print time, and fine tune from
there. that way, if i do wish to enlarge the print, new dodging/burning
times can be extrapolated from the new initial print time.

as for determining a new initial print time for an enlargement, for
example, i'm going to give rudman's method a try. i'll do the necessary
calculations before i print next, and take a chart with me into the
darkroom. i'll give it a couple of tries and report back about its
reliability.

guy

Replies: Reply from "Athanasios T. Seliotis" <selioti@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] printing questions)