Subject: Re: [Leica] printing questions
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:39:30 +0100

clive,

thanks for the detailed response. your system makes sense, and i can see
how it would be helpful in calculating new dodging and burning times for
the enlargement of a previously made print. what i don't see is how this
works better than the stadard test strip made in x second increments, which
is intended to give an initial exposure.

for example, i habitually make test strips in 2 second increments, with 5
variables per strip (so i've got samples of 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 and 10 seconds on
a given strip). with the lens stopped down one or two stops (according to
the density of the neg), this gives me a relatively broad spectrum of tones
from which to choose, a spectrum which frequently goes from a zone 7/8 type
highlight to a zone 1/2 shadow. when i go on and make my print, i stop the
lens down further (usually to 8 or 11) and recalculate the exposure time,
doubling the time for each new stop.

based on my experience, anything beyond 16 seconds in the test strip is
going to register as maximum black, so samples of 32 and 64 seconds that
your system provides are going to be so dark as to be useless to me. also,
there will be some *very* broad differences in tone between samples of 8
and 16 seconds, so much so that, if the exposure i want fell somewhere
between the two, i might have to make another strip to detemine if i want
10, 12, or 14 seconds, for example.

the system you use seems sound, and obviously works for you. have i
misunderstood something here?

guy

Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] printing questions)