Subject: RE: [Leica] Beginner B&W Question - Indoor Available Light
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:06:00 -0700

At 9:35 AM +0800 9/21/00, Ken Lai wrote:
>Henning,
>
>I am using the Adaptec USB to SCSI converter. It says in the literature that
>it supports SCSI scanners. It is working well with my Minolta scanner. But
>whether it works with your LS-20, I don't know. And I don't think Adaptec
>has tested the scanner and so I don't think they can tell you whether it
>works or not.
>
>I will try it on my ZIP disk tonight and let you know whether it works. When
>you say flaky, what exactly do you mean? Does it fail while copying/reading?
>Or does it finish copying/reading but is writing/reading wrong data?

Ken,

With 'flaky' I meant strange and unreliable. You have to hook things up and
power them up (and down) in exactly the right order, otherwise the computer
will freeze. Then, if you do things right, the Zip drive gets recognized
about 50% of the time. If it doesn't, you're only hope is to reboot and
hope you're now on the other side of the 50%. At first, you could only copy
very small files from the Zip onto your startup drive, or vice versa.
Larger files (>1Mb) would cause a freeze. However, as we were trying to
install some software, we found that we could run large installers from the
Zip disk, and install onto the startup drive from the Zip drive. Strange.
Usually if you can't copy things over the timing problems that cause that
are even worse for install programs, but not in this case. We then got some
beta software from Orange micro which allows larger copies chunks, but
still has mounting problems. Iomega tools does not work, as the driver does
not load at startup, and does not see the drive. So to format or 'erase'
disks, it has to be hooked up differently.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Adaptec scanner.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com