Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachrome lab
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 19 Sep 2000 13:35:46 -0700

On Tue, 19 September 2000, "Donald Lawrence" wrote:

> I have been reading the digest for a few weeks and noticed many
> photographers use Kodachrome in their Leicas. So, where is a good
> Kodachrome processing lab.
>
> I have used this film for years and have always used  Kodak for processing.
> Recently I received a horrible surprise, Kodak processing ruined my film.
> Muted colors, bark colored skin tones. Urrgh
>
> Rumors have surfaced through professional associations that this is now a
> chronic problem with Kodak.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable processing lab for Kodachrome?
>
> Don

Don,

Rumors are worth the paper they're printed on (or, worth the electrons they're delivered on... ).  If you're having a bad experience with a Kodak lab, that's a good enough reason to look elsewhere.  A & I in Los Angeles is supposed to be a good lab, but I personally haven't had problems with Kodak's NJ lab.

I'd much rather hand-carry my precious exposed film to the lab (the postal service being what it is) but OTOH I'd rather send Kodachrome in the yellow mailer than use other films.  A number of years ago Kodak in Chicago ruined a roll of Kodachrome but when I tried the alternatives I came right back to Kodachrome.

Kodak now operates several k-labs in various places around the US.  You should be able to seen if there's one in your area at

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/consumer/products/klabs/dealers.shtml

K-lab services generally are available only through a local dealer.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.