Subject: Re: [Leica] Helping kids develop as photographers.... (like Laura)
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 21 Sep 2000 08:23:24 -0700

On Thu, 21 September 2000, "Birkey, Duane" wrote:

> My point was and is that a M-Camera may or may not be the best tool to
> develop Laura's vision nor the best way for her to figure out how to get it
> on film and onto paper.   Tina will be a far better judge of that than I
> will...  But I'd think twice about adding RF to SLR or switching systems
> altogether at this point.

Excellent point, Duane.  From my own experience an M or any other rangefinder would not be a good choice for my 12-yr-old, since she likes to make macro photos.  OTOH my 16-yr-old does best with an auto-everything P&S, and would abandon photography entirely if not for the P&S's automated features and simple operation.

From what I saw of Laura's photos, she'd make good use of an M and her desire to use the M as she mentioned in her post to the LUG leads me to believe giving her the M4 will be a good move.

Some kids appreciate gifts like this; others don't.  I have one of each kind of kid.  Tina's the best judge of Laura's appreciation and I have faith that Tina has considered this factor in mulling the question over.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.