Subject: Re: [Leica] Incident Metering - resources needed
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:44:21 -0700

Simon Lamb wrote:

> Mark
>
> Why is the real issue knowing how much light the subject is reflecting?  The
> whole point of incident metering is you dispense with vagaries of the meter
> et al.  It doesn't matter how much light the subject is absorbing as long as
> you know how much is falling on it.  For most general situations the
> incident meter works.  Are you saying that you still make adjustments after
> incident metering depending upon the reflectance of the subject?  Given you
> are vastly more experienced than me in matters photographic, what type of
> adjustments for what type of subjects would you make?
><Snip>
An incident reading says this: (the reason from my previous tone)
"I don't care how much light your subject is reflecting, I just care how much
light is hitting it"
A naive approach some would say. Like Ansel Adams.
I'm very much into placing my tones and seeing where others fall and planning
for that, the zone system.
So an incident meter would not me my thing so much.
But i just used the technique last week. For me it's when i don't want to think.
Like Matrix.
I think there's something to be said for incident readings.
	Wouldn't want to make a Kareeeere out of it!
Markwr :)

If you, for instance are metering some very dark fabric your incident reading
might have you underexpose a bit TOO much. While your reflective reading would
have you OVERexpose it too much to middle grey/zone V/whatever.
(if you just went with the reading; ((had your camera on A)))
I just made that mistake this week shooting closeups of some dark brown
telephone poles with Kodachrome 200.
(with my 90 Elmirit)
I over exposed some of them. They were dark brown not middle grey. But that was
the meter in my M6, and my brain on vacation.

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Incident Metering - resources needed)
Message from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Incident Metering - resources needed)