Subject: re: [Leica] Features or basics
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 23:37:24 -0500

There are currently a number of diatribes on this list and its companion
(the LEG) about the lack of features of M cameras, the price level as it is
and compared to delivered engineering quality, the loss of manufacturing
quality as compared to previous models and so on. And of course the elusive
topic of 'bad management' as "they' do not produce what 'we' want and
demand.
<<<<<<<<<<

Some of us offer constructive criticism because we care about Leica.
Because we recognize the lenses as the finest available for 35 mm
photography, bar none, but maybe find the vehicles to mount those
lenses on to be unnecessarily limited.

I handled a Hexar RF today for the first time. A very, very nice
vehicle for Leica lenses. So is the M6. It's nice to have
alternatives.

A Null-series camera is most obviously not targeted at the sports reporter
for the Olympics. It is for the person who wishes to rediscover the style of
photography of the early twenties and is fascinated by it. It makes sense to
manufacture a camera body that forces one to do some thinking before making
a picture.

Baloney! It's a collector's camera. If Leica created a special
edition M6 wrapped in blue fabric from the Gap, stained, and engraved
with Monica Lewinsky's portrait, it would be bought by the same
people who will buy most of these Null-series camera.

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] leica - collector's or user's camera?)
Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Features or basics)