Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: My last word on Hexar, really.
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:42:57 -0700

At 08:46 PM 9/12/00 -0400, David Enzel wrote:
>This sure can be a tough group.  What ever happened to being open to a free
>marketplace of ideas?
>
>DAVID ENZEL
>Chevy Chase, Maryland

I'm simply stating what everyone received when they subscribed to this
list. Brian Reid is a most gracious host in that he allows excursions away
from the Leica subject, something that he does not have to do.

But that said, it is indeed still a Leica list and if I, or anyone else,
begins extolling the virtues of brand-x over brand-Leica, they will simply
have to endure us folks who happen to be here to discuss, either directly
or indirectly, Leica photography.

At one time on this list, discussing Leica-R was frowned upon by the
residents. At that time I only owned Leica-R therefore I lurked until
Leica-R was finally accepted as a "real" Leica.

I do not believe for a moment, that the Hexar will ever be accepted as a
Leica. To me, discussing Hexar nuances as if it were Leica is no different
than discussing a Contax G as if it were Leica, which folks periodically
want to do. There is a Contax list just for that purpose. Someone should
start a Hexar list. It's easy. Go to  www.topica.com .

Discussing anything photography related, in moderation, is obviously
acceptable on this list. Neither I, nor anyone else on this list, except
Brian, has the power to do anything about anything that is happening, on
this list. And believe me, a couple of years ago there was some r-e-a-l
nasty underhanded disgusting stuff going on. Fortunately, that has all
passed and the list, for the most part, has been pretty congenial.

Except for me. I usually stick my $.02 worth in and it is never meant to be
mean spirited. Blunt maybe, but never mean spirited.

In the past 50 years, there have been a lot of AE, AP, TA, etc, camera
water under the bridge but the Leica M camera seems to persist.

Why?

Probably because it is one of the very best tools available for doing the
job of photography. And the Hexar is not even a contender in any sense of
the word. And never will be. The Leica M will persist and continue doing an
incredible job of providing just the right tools for those photographers
who want to practice the craft of photography by exercising complete and
total control, at all times, over the photographic process.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com> ([Leica] RE: Re: My last word on Hexar, really.)