Subject: [Leica] F5 R8 hightech slr's
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:42:53 -0700

Robert Jagitsch wrote:

> >This is a wise advice, Stephen. But the problem is, IMHO, that the Hexar
> >does not do anything that much better than a Leica M. If I really near a
> >motor, AE or 1/4000+, I use my F5. It will give a really reliable matrix
> >metering, good automatic fill-in and even AF... Yes, I know, lenses are not
> >the same. But if you are in a situation when you need all these bells and
> >whistles, you don't care about 2 or 3% in lens resolution or contrast...
> >

> Yes, but an F5 hardly compares to a Leica or Hexar. Having owned all
> 3, the F5 is loud, heavy, and large.  The F5 has its own set of
> advantages and uses, but when the situation demands, the F5 (or other
> typical SLR) is not an option for me.
>
><Snip>

In the current? Issue #44 2000/2 with the white statues on the cover of Ed and
Trish Buziak's CAMERA AND DARKROOM our own Erwin Puts had a few intriguing and
original and insight full things to say about what makes a high tech SLR camera.
One mans high tech in not anothers. The history of the design of the R8 involved
an amazing and innovative process even for Leica.
It may turn out (even stacked up against the burgeoning Contax N1) that the R8
will after all fulfill my 35mm SLR needs. I wonder if we'll see Erwin carrying a
camera in Boston in 30 days but if we did my guess it would be at this point the
R8 instead of the M6. I thing doing this article  had convinced Erwin and when
Erwin is convinced he can be VERY convincing!
I'll be subscribing to this magazine so I'd E-mail Ed and see what he can do
about this issue and latter ones. ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk
Such an interesting cultural difference in the English way of doing things from
us Yankees! (I guess there is no "us")
Mark W. Rabiner
:)