Subject: Re: [Leica] m6 AND hexar rf
From: Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:53:35 -0500

>This is a wise advice, Stephen. But the problem is, IMHO, that the Hexar
>does not do anything that much better than a Leica M. If I really near a
>motor, AE or 1/4000+, I use my F5. It will give a really reliable matrix
>metering, good automatic fill-in and even AF... Yes, I know, lenses are not
>the same. But if you are in a situation when you need all these bells and
>whistles, you don't care about 2 or 3% in lens resolution or contrast...

Yes, but an F5 hardly compares to a Leica or Hexar. Having owned all
3, the F5 is loud, heavy, and large.  The F5 has its own set of
advantages and uses, but when the situation demands, the F5 (or other
typical SLR) is not an option for me.

IMHO, the Hexar is a nice bridge between the all manual M and an auto
everything SLR.

Case in point: a couple of weekends ago, I went to visit my parents.
We went out to an Italian restaurant and I was able to snap photos of
them with the Hexar very unobtrusively. All I had to do was focus and
compose, I didn't have to worry about the exposure. I just put the
Summicon 35 wide open and the camer chose the exposure. The shutter
and motor were very quiet; although not as quiet as an M, my parents
still never knew I was shooting photos of them. This would NOT have
been the case with an F5, not even close.

- -R
- --

- -------
PowerLogix R&D, Inc.
Main Office: 3921 Steck Avenue, Suite A105 Austin, TX 78759
(512) 795-2978 x107 (501) 421-7942 FAX (fax direct to my email)

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] F5 R8 hightech slr's)