Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LUGPhoto Quotes To Brighten Your Day
From: ECCity@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:44:51 EDT

I have to agree with Chandos, since the passage makes a lot of sense...
When I try to picture the American War Between the States, the images of the
Brady gang of photographers comes to mind.  When I try to picture the Spanish
Civil War, or the Second World War, some very famous images come to mind.

Do those images really capture what the entire events were really about, on a
personal and global scale?  Really doubtful; they're symbols at best, but as
the memories of the realities fade, only the photos remain.

On a personal level, I find that I can remember all kinds of details of
vacations past, events that occured and things that were said.  I can
remember this until I see the photos.  Then the photos take primacy, and I
can remember the events in the photos, but forget all the other millions of
events that occured during the vacation.  No wonder the Druids forced
complete memorization and shunned the written language.

Sontag was lionized a decade or two ago, now she is despised, so it's
probably a good bet that she'll shortly be rediscovered and found to have
been full of insight all along!

Dave

In a message dated 09/08/2000 9:42:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cmbrow@wm.edu