Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: How's your 50/2 M-Hexanon ?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:08:10 -0700

At 7:26 AM -0700 9/6/00, Jim Brick wrote:

>Henning,
>
>Curiosity has got me.
>
>Why, since you own numerous Leica M cameras, would you use the Hexar over a
>Leica M? When I grab cameras to go out and photograph, I grab the best of
>what I have for the particular type of work I'll be doing. Is there
>something that is better, on/in the Hexar, than the Leica M6?

The 1/4000sec shutter speed is the main thing. 1/1000sec isn't a limitation
when you only have a 35/3.5 that isn't all that sharp wide open anyways,
but the control of the focus zone possible with lenses like the 90 APO and
35 ASPH is hard to exploit at times when you can't go past 1/1000, yet
theses lenses work wonderfully at maximum or close to maximum aperture. I
use 100 speed slide film or Delta 100 quite often, so with the Hexar I can
open up significantly even in  bright conditions. Even HP5+ allows opening
up fully under a lot of medium overcast conditions.

Also, if I've got Auto Exposure with a lock, I very often meter by pointing
the camera at an area that I think will give me the 'exposure adjustment'
that I want, lock the exposure and then recompose and fire. I find this
faster than metering manually, and it gets me to the same end. For grab
shots where there is no time to meter, AE will sometimes save the day.

It doesn't feel as good to me as the Leicas, but it solves other problems.
Enough reason to use it, especially since it takes Leica glass.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com

Message from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] How's your 50/2 M-Hexanon ?)