Subject: Re: [Leica] How's your 50/2 M-Hexanon ?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:03:28 -0700

At 7:21 PM -0400 9/5/00, Dante A Stella wrote:
>I am using the 50/2 Hexanon that came with my Hexar RF.  Nice lens.  Very nice
>lens.  Nothing lacking in its performance, even against Summicrons.  The nice
>thing about it is the bokeh, which is lovely.  Light bulbs in the background
>don't disk-out.
>
>Plusses:
>40.5mm filters (means you can put cool Zeiss-Ikon filters on it)
>nice aperture ring with good bearings
>heavy-duty (and heavy) all-metal construction (exc. shade)
>low, low price (like free)
>well-sized to balance with the camera (this was intentional)
>sharp as hell
>better grip surface
>
>Minuses:
>plastic pullout lens shade
>doesn't say Leica
>isn't f/1.4
>
>On the whole, if you played with a Hexanon and with a 50/1.5 Voigtlander
>Nokton, the Nokton feels kind of cheap (not that it's not a nice lens).  It's
>just that the Hexanon is heavier, feels better and balances better.  My 35/2
>Summicron also feels like something of a toy in comparison.
>
>>From what I understand, it's a previous-generation Summicron clone.  I have
>not seen any performance drop since switching to it, and just about every
>reviewer has put its performance in the same class as the Leica product.

Actually, the Nokton is 5gms heavier (both measured with shade, as it's too
hard to remove the Hexanon shade). Also, almost a stop faster. At the
moment I have both, but the Hexanon hasn't been used much, and probably
won't in the future. At this time, I prefer the Nokton.

Now that I'm admitting I got a Hexar, I'll give my impressions as well. It
is a well made machine that in some ways is a delight for people who tend
to wear eyeglasses. The magnification is just right for a 35. In fact, the
Summilux ASPH is great on it.

The shutter at times feels like it has a lag, but actually it really
doesn't. I haven't done any scientific test on it, but the results
indicated that it fires pretty much at the same time my Leicas do. I just
feels funny at times.

The shutter speeds are often hard to see in the viewfinder. I find that at
times I have to hunt for them. Not good.

Exposure accuracy is great. Only the best multi-matrix super electronic
system (or manual) does better, and this is a lot faster than manual (only,
where are those shutter speeds???).

The back is nice, but i prefer my M6's. The Hexar's back is relatively
flimsy, and in the end it doesn't allow me to load faster. The M4 etc.
Hexar doesn't improve on that.

The viewfinder/rangefinder is slightly dimmer than that of the M6, but not
significantly in my estimation. It flares less often (but where are those
shutter speeds??) but the rangefinder patch is not as good when there is no
flare in the M6. In the end, I can live with either, and I've not lost
pictures due to either's shortcomings. I can even focuse my 75 or 90/2
reasonably, although I've not tried the Noctilux.

Now for the major shortcomings of the Hexar. The strap lugs are place too
far forward. This is serious, as even with the 35/1.4 ASPH the camera is
tilted backward, which means that the eyepiece, hotshoe edge etc are all
rubbing against my body when walking. It takes a 90/2 to get it to tilt
properly down in front, and just have the bottom edge rubbing against my
clothes. It generally catches, grabs and pulls at my clothes. Very
annoying. And also dangerous, because since the eyepiece rubs against my
clothes, it could get unscrewed. This is serious, as the eyepiece is not a
flat piece of glass, but an essential part of the optical system of the
viewfinder, so you can't use the camera without it. Loktite to the rescue
(blue version).

Also, the rubber on the eyepiece started coming off shortly after I bought
it. Krazy Glue fixed it.

On the whole, a keeper. I'll use it a lot, but leave the Hexanon at home.
This camera will see most use with the 35/1.4 ASPH, and some with other
Leica lenses. If need be, I'll put a 75 or 90/2 on it and know that it will
be alright, but it is best with 35 or possibly the new 28/2 on it.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] How's your 50/2 M-Hexanon ?)