Subject: Re: [Leica] GG focusing.
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 31 Aug 2000 08:12:06 -0700

On Thu, 31 August 2000, Bryant wrote:

> Hi Luggers,
>
>     Once you've got your tripod all set up, the camera bolted to it's top,
> have metered the highlights and shadows of the scene, locked the DOF preview
> lever and checked DOF (on a straight GG screen, without bothersome RF prism
> wedges), locked up the mirror, set the self timer, a question comes to mind:
>
>     Why are you using a Leica?  For only a *little* bit more weight, you could
> be using a 4x5 view.  With it's attendant swings and tilts, it offers far more
> control of the plane of focus and perspective than our fixed lens small
> format Leica.  A good big negative beats a good little negative any day.
>
>     We're missing the point here.  The big deal is that the Leica, especially
> the M, is a portable, "miniature" camera.  For much of the 20th century, that's
> what they were called.
>
>     A Leica has 36 tries at a good picture.  The View, 1.  It's much easier to
> move around with the hand held Leica.  It's a system for dynamic subjects.
> It's much easier to take with you.  I drop a body in one pocket, a lens in
> another, a meter and extra roll of film in a third, and I've got a camera.
> You can't do this with 4x5!  My favorite tripod for the M, FWIW, is the Leitz
> table top tripod.  I tend to use it as a chest pod, it allows me to halve
> my shutter speed and get equivalent sharpness compared to straight hand
> holding.  Still, most of my pictures are hand held snaps.  If I get 1
> shot per roll I like, I'm happy.  The view camera guys can't afford such
> a low success rate.  Moral: Don't treat your Leica like a view camera.
> Make the equipment fit the subject.
>
>     Granted, my Olympus stylus does all this in a single pocket, but it suffers
> from "A computer programmer sitting in a cubicle in Japan" making my
> decisions, a terminal condition.  I don't use it any more.
>
>     Tom

Tom,

I agree with you in priciple.  IMHO the optimal use of a Leica is as a hand-held camera, and in fact I've also asked the question: "if you're going through all that trouble and hauling that monster tripod around, why not use a larger format?"

I often find myself in sub-optimal conditions.  The vast majority of my photographs are of wildlife using a hand-held Leica with a really long lens.  I've expounded enough on why I don't use a tripod so if you want to know why, search the archives.  It's gotta be there somewhere.  I also want to be prepared for photographs of mountain scenery so a tripod-mounted camera comes in real handy, too.  Trouble is, when hauling 2-3 Telyts and a couple SL bodies plus the obligatory macro lens and tripod up & down 10,000 ft+ peaks, a large-format camera isn't just a little extra weight.  It's A LOT of extra weight 'cuz it doesn't replace hand-held Telyts.  I find it much more practical to bring a wide-angle R lens or two than to bring a 4x5 outfit (assuming I had a 4x5 outfit).

Fortunately the Leica glass can be used with hand-held cameras, and where tilts & shifts aren't critical, can also be used with excellent results on a tripod-mounted camera.  It sure beats missing the photo entirely because the optimal kit was too much weight to carry.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.