Subject: Re: [Leica] GG focusing.
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 07:35:56 +0200

Bryant,

The answer is simple. I use my Leicaflex and my R8 in this manner *occasionally*
when the situation requires it. At other times I use them handheld. In other words,
I have both options. With a view camera I would not have the choice to handhold.
The other reason for using 35mm is in the lenses. I have lenses for my R ranging
from 19mm to 400mm. I do not want to even consider what it would cost to reproduce
this range in medium or large format.

Nathan

Bryant wrote:

> Hi Luggers,
>
>     Once you've got your tripod all set up, the camera bolted to it's top,
> have metered the highlights and shadows of the scene, locked the DOF preview
> lever and checked DOF (on a straight GG screen, without bothersome RF prism
> wedges), locked up the mirror, set the self timer, a question comes to mind:
>
>     Why are you using a Leica?  For only a *little* bit more weight, you could
> be using a 4x5 view.  With it's attendant swings and tilts, it offers far more
> control of the plane of focus and perspective than our fixed lens small
> format Leica.  A good big negative beats a good little negative any day.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch