Subject: Re: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 28 Aug 2000 13:40:01 -0700

Kyle,

what can I say - this is far more powerful than any of your previous stuff.  What I saw in the goth babes was that you were getting out and making some pictures but (no offense intended) there wasn't much more than that.  What I see now is that you are mentally focussed enough to tell a story.  Very big difference.  IMHO the goth babes stuff was not a waste of time, you were getting warmed up.

On Mon, 28 August 2000, Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> so -- week 35 would be some pix from my project for mary ellen mark's
> doccumentary photography master class that i've been in for the last two
> weeks but they're still, um, well, i'm not sure i want to link them from
> the pic a week site. there are all sorts of photo ethics issues that
> you'll no doubt be bombarding me with over the next couple of days which
> is why i'm sort of keeping it under my hat until i've figured them out --
> but since you people don't live around here, you're practically anonymous
> and i can share with you:
>
> http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/goth/secret/
>
> when i started working on this project and got really involved with it, i
> quickly realized that everything else i've done has been meaningless. i
> felt like throwing it all out and was actually really embarrassed by a lot
> of it -- like i'd been wasting my time and film. (if you want to get that
> sort of warm fuzzy about the crap you've been laborously shooting for the
> last five years, i recommend her class -- it'll wake you up.) i saw that
> nothing i'd done had real substance or depth or emotional content. my goth
> photos -- & the whole idea of it, are entirely superficial -- basically
> just low quality fashion photography (not that there's anything wrong with
> fashion, i'd love to do fashion actually) but i was missing the point, or
> at least missing the story. & i think that for the first time i'm really
> on the way to being able to tell a story completely through images -- in
> fact, i find that nothing that i could say about it would be of any worth.
> this is only a few shots from the first day. more to follow when i figure
> out what i'm doing.
>
> for the record, mary ellen thought this project was a Bad Idea.
>

> kyle damn-fool-with-a-leica cassidy

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.