Subject: Re: [Leica] The Future Is Now
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 28 Aug 2000 13:22:13 -0700

On Mon, 28 August 2000, Ted Grant wrote:

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
>
> > For those of you who think digital printing is just a passing fancy...
> >
> > Just went down to Unisom, one of the best B&W processing and printing places
> > in Boston, to get a half-dozen 16x20s made. Well.....as of August 1, Unisom
> > is now all digital. No more processing. No more wet printing. Period.<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Hi B.D.,
> The top line lab here in Victoria still do D/Room colour prints, but
> have installed a digital printing machine and are pushing it by hanging
> colour prints in their offices.  Incredible results from all kinds of
> negs and slides. It's something like "you have to see it to believe it!"
>
> They made 10X12 prints from some of my Europe slides that absolutely
> amazed me. The prints were so good it was an improvement on the original
> slides shot in heavy forested area under very contrasty sunlight.
> (worse kind of light conditions working in any forest!)  If this is the
> kind of quality available with digital printers I don't see why one
> requires a colour darkroom.  Or as I suspect  a B&W darkroom.

<SNIP>

> When I see the quality of colour prints made by a machine without
> chemicals, like you, I believe the future is here now!
>
> And certainly with the Leica transparencies they printed, it's truly
> amazing how the quality held of what a Leica lens does to film!
> ted
> Victoria, Canada
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

When TED GRANT says this it's time to pay attention.  The difference is enough that I want to throw my darkroom prints in the trash.  And in my experience it's the Leica chromes among my 35mm slides that shine the brightest.  I welcome the digital future.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.