Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R6.2 vs R8, R7
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 27 Aug 2000 14:31:14 -0700

On Sun, 27 August 2000, Vick Ko wrote:

> I'd like to solicit your opinions on buying an R6.2 or other mechanical SLR
> Leica,
> versus the R8.  Over the last few months, I've read some amusing and disturbing
>
> stories of malfunctions on R8's.  The R6.2 and R8 appear to have the same list
> price.  I am not looking for highly automated functions - only a simple meter
> will do.  But I am looking for exceptional reliability.
>
> Can someone also tell me the important differences between the R7 and R6.2?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vick

Vick,

The important differences between the R6.2 and the R7 have to do with the shutter mechanism.  The R6.2 has a mechanically-timed shutter and the R7 has an electronically-timed shutter.  With the R7's shutter comes several auto-exposure modes and half-stop shutter speeds, even in manual mode.  The R7's TTL flash feature can be used for fill flash more easily than the R6.2's TTL flash metering.

I like the ergonomics of the R8 better than either the R6.2 or the R7 and the R8 bugs have probably all been worked out.  The R6.2 and R7 are completely trouble-free.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Leica R6.2 vs R8, R7)
Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica R6.2 vs R8, R7)