Subject: [Leica] a Summicron by any other name
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:51:11 -0700

asparaco@metafour.net wrote:

> >asparaco! this idea of "matched lenses" like this is new to me!
> >a 75/1.4 and a 35mm f1.4? Both 1.4?
> >50mm F2 and the 35mm F2 both F2?
> >That makes them matched? They work together better somehow as >a team?
> >I don't know about that one!
> >Markwr
>
> When pondering the problem at hand on a set or on a location, it is nice to
> know that I can tell the Camera Assistant to mount  any lens in the case
><Snip>
> Conversely the 35mmf2Asp and 50mmF2Summicron are the top performing lenses
> optically and are small in  size and weight. If you don't need the speed and
> are on a tight budget the 90f2Apo is a nice match; fits in a brief case with
> an M body and a laptop
><Snip>
asparaco!!
This is exactly the example I have in my own mind when I think of lenes of the
same f stops not a match in different focal lengths.
The previous 90 Summicron was less of a "match" with the  35mmf2Asp and
50mmF2Summicrons (both my lenses) than an  90 Elmarit. This 90 Summicron was o n
the unwieldy side for me.
The newer APO ASPH is better balanced represents a whole different "weight" of
optic and commitment to a shoot than the Elmarit.   and when lined up next to
the 35 and the 50 "crons".

By the way when I first got into Leicas seven in my own mind I thought of
getting a set of Summicrons.!!

But now that I am older and wiser, been Erwined and Lugged I know that a
Summicron by any other name can be a bit of a monster!
Markwr