Subject: [Leica] Hello to Mark Rabiner
From: asparaco@metafour.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 05:09:54 -0500

>asparaco! this idea of "matched lenses" like this is new to me!
>a 75/1.4 and a 35mm f1.4? Both 1.4?
>50mm F2 and the 35mm F2 both F2?
>That makes them matched? They work together better somehow as >a team?
>I don't know about that one!
>Markwr

When pondering the problem at hand on a set or on a location, it is nice to
know that I can tell the Camera Assistant to mount  any lens in the case
(usually Zeiss superspeeds soon possibly Van Diemen/Leica Cine lenses) and
if in low light not have to change lighting. You know how surly the gaffers
and grips can get.

Simplify, why pack the weight and size if you don't need the speed.  You
spend all the dough for the fast lenses because you need the speed. Why do
the mental gymnastics-anything in the bag is usable without afterthought- If
you are working in a low light venue with a 35mm and 50mm F1.4 or Noc the
90f2 Apo is gonna get left in the bag, reach for the 75mm f1.4. Before the
90mm Apo I had the 90mmF2 Summicron and there were countless times when I
had it but couldn't use it -to slow,to long at a slow shutter
speed-frustrating- Stopped carrying it.

Conversely the 35mmf2Asp and 50mmF2Summicron are the top performing lenses
optically and are small in  size and weight. If you don't need the speed and
are on a tight budget the 90f2Apo is a nice match; fits in a brief case with
an M body and a laptop

I consider what I'm shooting and take the lens set that matches best.
Yes having two 35mm lenses and two 50mm lenses is excessive but I'm worth it
and I wrote it off my taxes so "Buddy and Hillary" paid for them. You don't
own Leica equipment because it's rational anyway. I can't belief the amount
of time and energy that is expended on this LUGnut forum and the fact I
continue to follow it, as a moth drawn to light-pass the needle.

So yes Mark, we do work better together as a team and we even have team
jerseys which we wear and go drinking after a shoot usually Goose Island
Honkers Ale> my opinion only.

Best regards
aparaco/chicago
asparaco@metafour