Subject: Re: [Leica] Dr. Strangelens, or....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:44:12 -0700

ralph fuerbringer wrote:

> schwalberg did nothing without a reason.   after making measurements to a
> 1000th of an mm of a ng collapsible erected,  he carried the lens around for
> several months, collapsing and extending thousands of times at odd moments.
> he repeated the measurements several times during this test. variations
> from the start point to the finish convinced him to leave a new lens
> extended to guarantee the kind of lasting precision he demanded.long before
> this test i discussed with bob why zeiss stopping making a collapsable 50f2
> sonnar: to guarantee precision. another factor to consider: during the time
> lag to save a centimeter or so you could loose the picture.
><Snip>
My wife Karens lens on her M6 is the current 50mm collapsible Elmar.
She has got the collapsible action down as other aspects of the use of this lens.
I don't borrow it. It's best used by one person.
But some day will perhaps do a comparison test check against my 50mm Summicron
to see if differences are evident.
Mark Rabiner
And I wonder how the Elmar stacks up against the Summicron?!
Battle of the collapsibles!!