Subject: [Leica] suits and jackets, was GR1 er..
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:39:38 +0100

snip

 and I am wearing business clothes--I
>think an M6 in the pocket of a business suit looks really strange.

more snip

Nathan,

you have a suit problem. I used to have one too. Just out of university in
the sixties, I worked for P&G in the UK.  Suit every day. Dark suit. One
day I ventured dressing in a sports jacked (yes, dark) and (dark) gray
trousers. That day my boss asked me to come into his room, closed the door
and told me the Scandinavian Division manager had noticed I was not wearing
a suit when he saw me in the dining room and would I wear a suit the next
day.  Yes I would, I said. Just could not afford to say goodbye to all
these foreign posting allowances and my work permit was limited to
P&G...... Prostitution!  (BTW, P&G needed laundry for their detergents lab
and all of us had our laundry done by them. Just they did not iron anything
and the shirts were returned as the came out of the tumble drier, so almost
nobody had their shirts done by them, just the Division manager. He
believed what it said on the tag: 'Non-Iron' and that everybody should wear
suits. I know better). They then talked in a similar way to the smartest
girl in the whole office, who to my great pleasure worked in the same
department as I did. Her blouses had too deep cuts, they said (we guys
disagreed). She said that if they did not like her way of dressing, she
would not come the next day. In fact she left on the spot. Great gal. No
prostitution.

I then worked in the music industry. Great placed if don't like suits.
Great place if you like suits. They don't really care. One night I was
doing overtime in the office because Norio Ohga, the boss of Sony
Corporation was coming the next day. We thought. He popped into my office
that evening, said hello,  asked who I was and introduced his wife. There I
was, jeans, no tie (but I got into my loafers real quick). He then
introduced his wife, and we talked for a bit. No dress comments the next
morning. Great guy. And compare P&G and Sony share prices

What I wanted to say is that Barbour jackets, or cheaper copies are great
for carrying M6s. One in each side pocket, and then several pockets to
spare.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or