Subject: [Leica] GR1 (was: Street photography)
From: "sam" <salex@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:00:23 +0000

paul wrote, in part: (re: the GR1)

> Had one, sold it.  In order of importance I hated: the shutter lag, the loss
> of control, the viewfinder, the lens (it flared badly with any degree of
> contre-jour) and the fact that the camera would turn on in my pants pocket.
> I liked the fact that it was small and generally well made.  On balance it
> was just not my cup of tea, so out it went.

There is a newer model that accepts a lens shade (and filters) called the
GR1-S. Doesn't seem to be sold in the US.  (Robert White has them in the
UK). Perhaps the shade would help the flare problem?

Having purchased and used a GR1 for several years, I too have mixed feelings
about it, especially the shutter lag.  For a small, hand "street" camera
alternative and "Leica supplement", I continue to use an older Olympus XA4.
The 28mm one that can be set to focus at 12".  Small, extremely quiet - like
practically silent - no shutter lag and a fine lens.But that's just "my" cup
of tea. Of course there are many others to consider:  TC-1, T2, Minox,
Rollei, Leica, etc., each with a positive and a negative list attached.

Sam