Subject: [Leica] R vs R
From: "sam" <salex@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:22:06 +0000

Alastair Firkin  wrote, in part:

>  Despite all the problems I had ---- and no-one here would
> have had a longer "struggle", I remain very happy with the R8,

>  that the electronics were/may still be a little bit less robust
> than some other cameras I've owned,

. . . add the many similar remarks in many other posts ("it's gotten better
since it was introduced",  etc.) from Leica R8  owners/users/lovers, and I
am reminded  of sports car owners/drivers/lovers back in the 50's and 60's.

Those sexy British sports cars leaked oil, their Lucas electrics died on a
regular schedule. The carburetors needed synchronizing every run. . .
the wire wheels on the Healeys (often feeling like two motorcycles strapped
together) needed constant retuning. . .feet roasted while heads froze.
Porsches (356's) rusted out from the inside while you watched. . .
And so on. While the American sports car (singular) was considered, with all
its fantastic power and panache, a "plastic" car. . .scorned by the "foreign
car" afficionados.  They were all just cars that each did their thing in an
individual, unique way. Faults were tolerated, strengths glorified and the
marques were loved, driven, repaired, driven more, and, most importantly,
enjoyed.

Same with R8's, M6's and. . .well, even those other "plastic" ones.

Long live the V8. . . . I mean the R8!

sam