Subject: [Leica] Is again: Focusing a 280 F2.8???
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:13:17 -0500

>With static nature shots, I had the unfortunate habit of focussing behind
>the subject. I even thought there was something wrong with my R8.  Nope, it
>was just me needing to get the hang of it.  A Plain Ground Glass screen
>helped a lot with focussing with action and wildlife shooting.

HA!  This reminds me about something funny about myself and focusing
long lenses.  I am, or should say used to be, really good at follow
focusing on the long lenses.  I would get most frames per roll sharp.
BUT when shooting a static object I was likely to get the damn thing
out of focus.  I remember the first Panthers football game I covered
for Journal Communications.  They sent both of our photographers to
the game, me and David.

I told David about this oddity of mine and he just laughed at me
saying I had to be making that up.  Well when we got the film back
all of the photos of game action were sharp on my film, David did not
have many keepers - I attribute this more to the fact I had covered
NFL football extensively in the past and this was his first game, BUT
my shots of the players pregame where they were not running around my
hit rate was way lower.

Oh and for focusing and waiting for the players to run into the plane
of focus, not a great way to get key action.  Once you learn to
follow focus it is as automatic as looking through the camera.  Your
fingers just spin the dial keeping the subject in focus as they move.
Very easy to do once you get the hang of it.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net