Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? And lots more
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:05:55 -0500

>However, other than 1 writer who suggested the use of NO back and forth
>focusing to get it right, I have not had too many suggestions.
>
>You might think a 300 F2.8 is bright... you are right, it is very bright in
>the VF.  But that does help the small DOF, but there nust be a few more
>tricks the pros can give us.....
>
>VF screens? Since we are all Leica enthusiasts, a Leica recommendation would
>be nice, but maybe something for us Nikon fans?
>Ditto the Canon folk out there.....
>
>Are there other tricks to help us out?

Frank,

The best way to learn to focus long glass is to do it a lot.
Practice, Practice, Practice.  Go out to a highway and shoot cars
coming toward you.  Go to a little league baseball or football game
and shoot the kids running around.  It is difficult at first, but
after you get the hang of it it is like second nature.  Heck back
when I shot sports a lot I shot Basketball with a 400 2.8.  There is
NO depth of field in a 400 2.8 at 2.8 and 2.8 is what you have to use
at basketball, the courts are just too dark for anything else.  And
the reason you buy those expensive fast long lenses is to get the
highest shutter speeds possible.  I still use a Canon 400 2.8L on and
old F1, I have the plain GG screen made for long lenses, that helps.
Nikon makes one of those screens also, as does Leica, I think.

If I still used long glass a lot I think I would be buying the new
400 2.8 Canon lens with the IS technology, that thing looks pretty
sweet, I think.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net