Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:29:00 -0700

Even though I rally for the side of traditional silver photography, and I
do use film for my originals, most, but not all, of my large display prints
are LightJet prints.

My total point was that it is a crying shame that the real silver negative
- - enlarger - silver print process, as it has been refined over the years
(by people like Adams) is slowly slipping away. I am extremely happy that
my daughter has chosen to learn that process and use it.

As Bob says, my real point is toward the "point & shoot" digital crowd.
This, of course, includes the M6 point, develop without thought (maybe
T400CN), scan and inkjet out 8x10's What is important is that they are
having fun. What is lost is the craft of traditional photography. And the
industry is heading this way like a runaway train.

I am in awe of Doug Herr's work. How he attains his result is immaterial. I
know that he spends an inordinate amount of time working with the medium
(his craft) to produce these fantastic results.

Jim

Replies: Reply from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -)