Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: rnkramer@mindspring.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:26:55 -0400

Personally, I think it is cool that Jim's daughter is learning skills to
produce excellent negatives.  Real silver on film stuff that we all love.
Get yourself a great negative and it makes the printing process so much
easier and more rewarding.  No matter how you choose to print it.  Seems to
me Jim's beef ought to be more toward the digital point and shoot crowds who
never even use a roll of film, much less ponder the exposure and processing
control required to realize a vision of an image.  I am going to get two
more Leica-H cameras so I can have N-1, N, N+1 bodies!

I do have a question for both the silver/gelatin and digital camps.
Although I use a film scanner with relatively low resolution and density
range (it's what we have at the office that's available for me to use), I
have noticed that I can print decent tonal range images that I have found
hopeless in the darkroom, mainly because the negative was way too thin.  Has
anyone else noticed this as well, or is this just a function of my lack of
skill in the darkroom?  Or are there times when the scanning processing will
give you better print results than in a darkroom, no matter what your
darkroom skills?  Just curious what other people's experience has been.

Bob Kramer