Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:40:39 +0100

Jim Brick wrote:

> Even though I rally for the side of traditional silver photography, and I
> do use film for my originals, most, but not all, of my large display prints
> are LightJet prints.
>
> My total point was that it is a crying shame that the real silver negative
> - enlarger - silver print process, as it has been refined over the years
> (by people like Adams) is slowly slipping away. I am extremely happy that
> my daughter has chosen to learn that process and use it.
>
> As Bob says, my real point is toward the "point & shoot" digital crowd.
> This, of course, includes the M6 point, develop without thought (maybe
> T400CN), scan and inkjet out 8x10's What is important is that they are
> having fun. What is lost is the craft of traditional photography. And the
> industry is heading this way like a runaway train.
>
> I am in awe of Doug Herr's work. How he attains his result is immaterial. I
> know that he spends an inordinate amount of time working with the medium
> (his craft) to produce these fantastic results.
>
> Jim

I understand your feelings about the seeming loss of craft in imaging and
especially the decline of silver based photography. Sadly we cannot, of
course, turn back the clock and have the past century all over again. We will
learn to cope with the newer technologies and go on about our way making art
and practicing craft. Though digital processes is now dominating image making,
silver based photography will be with us for many many years.  I don't know
about the rest of you, but I will just keep on making images, using my wet
darkroom and enjoy myself while trying to better my photography. I will also
try to learn Photo Shop and use my scanner and computer to also make images. I
enjoy the old process but have no fear of the new. I find it all very exciting.
John Shick

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -)
Message from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: The quintessence of Leica photography? - Long response -)