Subject: Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:47:29 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Diffraction is supposed to be a much bigger issue with enlarging lenses than
> camera lenes I've read.
> There are now enlarging lense out there that Don't stop down at all you use them
> as is.

I bought a Schneider 28mm Componon lens on ebay a while ago that was billed as an
enlarging lens.  It has no aperture blades, just a fixed plate with a hole where (I
assume) the blades would be.  It's an f/4 lens, according to the printing on the
barrel.  Schneider says it was probably an OEM lens for some sort of copier or
printer.  But it works with my Minox negatives, which always need as much light as
possible to keep print exposure times under an hour, so I just use it as it is.

> And I think there is one out there with no aperture blades but a series of
> plates with perfect holes in them that you insert in for different F stops.
> Intriguingly hard core.

I have a set of plates with holes in them too.  They fit a Sekonic Studio Deluxe
light meter, and when selected properly from a chart of film/shutter speed
combinations, cause the meter to read directly in f stops.  I thought it was too
cool not to have, though I admit to only using 'em once.  Ah, well, maybe they're
worth a fortune on ebay.

Cheers,
Kip

Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Diffraction limited; bo-ke)