Subject: RE: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:17:24 -0400

I shoot my images with a Leica (using film obviously).  I then develop the
film using a Jobo ATL-1000 processor. Assuming film and chemicals are
loaded, you push one button, and film is done in 30 minutes.  The current
model is the 1500, but it is about 2 to 3 times more expensive, for little
more, than the ATL-1000.  You can buy an ATL-1000 on eBay for between $1000
and $1500.  If that's too much, there are models that are more manual.

For contact sheets (and prints), I scan the negatives and print them using
a Piezo printer...  The scanner is very small (Polaroid SprintScan
4000...4000DPI), though my printer is large (Epson 3000...but it isn't near
as large as my D2 enlarger and the 4 20x24 trays, plus sink ;-), I
understand there are smaller printers that are equally as good, quality
wise, they just don't handle the larger paper.

If you are really into black and white, I suggest checking
www.piezography.com...if you decide to go the digital route...you may
decide to get a printer that can use their inks...