Subject: Re: [Leica] home b&w processing
From: Roy Zartarian <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:27:31 -0400

At 08:36 PM 07/22/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I'd like to have more of a hand in processing my black and white photos,
but don't have room for a full-on darkroom. I'd be happy to be able to
process and print contact sheets for now, leaving the final printing to a
local b&w lab. So, I have 2 questions...are there decent film processors
available (I hear "Jobo" mentioned) that allow one to process in one step?

A Jobo with the lift, of course, is an elegant and convenient way to go for
film processing.  Add in a changing tent to load the processing reels. And
a couple of feet of counter space with a nearby electrical outlet.

For more simplicity, process manually in a daylight tank in either
stainless or plastic with appropriate reels along with a deep tray or
plastic basin filled with water at the correct temperature for a tempering
bath. If you go with stainless, treat yourself to Hewes or Kindermann
reels.  The cheap ones are good only for paperweights.

>Second, is there such a thing that will produce a contact print with a
minimum of cost/space?

Well, going digital with a film scanner like the Hewlett Packard S20 or a
flatbed like the Acer 620ST will allow you to produce proofs of your
negatives without the need for a line of trays and a darkroom.

Roy

Replies: Reply from "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] home b&w processing)