Subject: Re: [Leica] Quit picking on the R3
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:19:09 -0700

charlie trentelman wrote:
> > hmmmm.  yourself.
> >
> > So, the Leica R3 that I've been using for almost 20 years and which has only
> > been in the shop once (disconnect of the mirror-shutter mechanism, cost $170
> > for DAG to fix it and completely service the camera about 8 years ago, a fair
> > price I think) and which meters as accurately as any camera I have ever seen,
> > combined with simplicity of use to the point of being idiot-resistent, is in
> > reality a disgustingly poor piece of equipment, prone to breakdown,
> > impossibly expensive to maintain, and a "throw-away" Leica?
> >
> > How foolish of me not to notice!<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Charlie,
Well me old buddy,  please consider yourself one of the very lucky few
with an R3 that has functioned as well as yours.

There are Leica R3 users who haven't had a whit of a problem, please
note I said "few," as those with problems are legion!  There are
unfortunately more R3's in the bottom of dumpsters than any other Leica made,.

It's my understanding it damn near ended the era of Leica SLR's. And
there was a carry over from the R3 electronics to the early R4's that
drove some of us to total distraction and wishing we never heard the
name Leica.  Certainly when the R4 crashed right in the middle of a very
important shoot.

I, on solid advice, refrained from buying R3's and rode them out with my
SL2's,  switching to all R4's believing the electronic bugs had been
eliminated.... SURPRISE!   I had one R4 that caused so much grief if I
could've found the morons who designed it I'd have killed them.

Finally after umpteen times of sending it to Leica Canada in Toronto I
demanded an exchange camera and that if they didn't give me one I'd
totally smash this camera on their front steps in front of  National TV
camera crews plus Canadian Press and Reuters wire services.

It was indicated by Leica Canada, think Wetzlar at the time,  that they
would look at it again. I offered that I'd be in Toronto the next week
for the exchange camera and at that time if they did not give me a new
one,  the TV and news guys would be there at noon for the smashing.

And that's exactly what happened, I wanted a replacement. they wanted to
play fix it games, that was until the news crews turned up and I stood
there ready to do the deed!  "Oh Ted come in, don't be so foolish, we
have a new camera for you! " :-)

What you have to be ready for without question is to follow through with
the threat to...."SMASH IT!"  Now that part takes guts, not to mention
an element of stupidity!  You can't make a threat like that, then back
down simply because they offer to try and fix it one more time.
But it worked and I had no hesitation about doing it, as I'd just had it
with the time after time break downs and costs of shipping it back and
forth across the country. They gave me a brand new camera body!

With the  exchange, the problem was resolved and the other two R4's
worked flawlessly and did until they were all (3) exchanged for R7's.
But the one with the carry over electronic guts from the R3's just gave
me nightmares until pure frustration took over sanity.  And I was
prepared for physical destruction of a Leica.   Now that's pure
desperation!  However, it worked as I know Leica couldn't afford the
"really bad press" :-)

So Charlie my friend,  consider yourself a very fortunate R3 Leica owner
all these many years! :-) As there are a ton of them out there who have
had nightmares!

ted

Message from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Quit picking on the R3)