Subject: [Leica] Quit picking on the R3
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:24:27 EDT

someone said: Back to the R3 -

When the battery is dead, what shutter speeds should the camera be capable of?

The collected opinion is that the R3 was unreliable, and astromonical to
repair.

Hmmm - the first throw-away Leica.

..Vick

hmmmm.  yourself.

So, the Leica R3 that I've been using for almost 20 years and which has only
been in the shop once (disconnect of the mirror-shutter mechanism, cost $170
for DAG to fix it and completely service the camera about 8 years ago, a fair
price I think) and which meters as accurately as any camera I have ever seen,
combined with simplicity of use to the point of being idiot-resistent, is in
reality a disgustingly poor piece of equipment, prone to breakdown,
impossibly expensive to maintain, and a "throw-away" Leica?

How foolish of me not to notice!

I'd better go spend $2000 on an R8 immediately! Oh no, there's an auto focus
Contax! I find myself irresistably drawn! What shall I do?????

Nothing, actually. I'm sure I'll get my comeuppance some day.

With a dead battery ithe R3 works at 1/90th mechanical speed, by the way. I
believe you have to take the battery out to get this, but could be mistaken.
It's so dependable that I repay the compliment by always keeping a spare
battery handy. They last about a  year under heavy use unless I forget to
turn the camera off, it's one weak point in my opinion.

charlie trentelman
ogden
marching to a different drummer
utah