Subject: digital printing (was: [Leica] Rotring pencil )
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2000 08:39:46 -0700

On Sat, 15 July 2000, Erwin Puts wrote:

<big SNIP>
> I find the trend to digital printing disconcerting as it is easy to
> calculate that the potential image quality of a leica lens is in jeopardy
> when being handled digitally. It might be satisfactory for commercial or
> personal use, no doubt and there is no argumant against the digital print.
> If I read here and elsewhere that Leica is selected because of its optical
> potential, there is certain contradiction here.
> It would make a most rewarding discussion if we could find and describe the
> borderline cases and the real limits of image degradation by digital
> printing or in a positive approach, how to maximise the leica quality. Such
> a topic would transgress the eternal and often pointless discussion about
> the use of filters.
>
> Erwin

I have changed completely to digital printing and the results I have seen demonstrate even more than with optical printing the value of high-quality equipment for making the original slides or negatives.  My Leica slides are much easier to work with than my N**** slides.  Shadow detail in particular is far better in the Leica chromes; likewise, the N**** slides are far more likely to have odd color casts in the highlights and shadows.  Aside from exceptional images, I limit the size of my N**** prints to 10x14 where the photos made with Leica equipment are still rich with detail at 16x20.  IMHO Leica lenses and digital printing are an excellent combination.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!