Subject: Re: [Leica] my M3 - lens dropped off!
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2000 21:12:29 -0700

On Fri, 14 July 2000, "Hugh Thompson" wrote:

> Horrors - just going out with my dogs, picked up the new (to me) M3, and the
> 50 'cron dropped off onto our tile floor, clunk!  Hooray for lens hoods - it
> was bent and pushed back over the lens, but no damage to the lens, as far as
> I can tell.  There is no stiffness in working the aperture or focus rings -
> phew!  That is why I now have a Leica (tank).  Now, what happened - I must
> have pressed the lens disengage button and turned the lens at the same time,
> at some point earlier in the day - luckily it did not fall off on the
> concrete sidewalk - has anyone had a similar experience with the M3 or are
> all M's capable of this little trick - thanks Hugh Thompson

Sort of -- I had my SL on the 400 Telyt, using the viso mount tube with 14167 (the R mount tube was on the 560) and the viso - 14167 junction un-bayonetted, sending my SL 3 feet (about 1 meter) down to the concrete sidewalk.  The M (viso) bayonet requires only a very short turn to completely disengage, while the R bayonet requires a much larger twist.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!