Subject: Re: digital printing (was: [Leica] Rotring pencil )
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 19:47:04 -0400

on 15/7/00 11:39 am, Doug Herr at telyt560@cswebmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, 15 July 2000, Erwin Puts wrote:
>

> <big SNIP>
>> I find the trend to digital printing disconcerting as it is easy to
>> calculate that the potential image quality of a leica lens is in jeopardy
>> when being handled digitally.

Just a personal observation: my digital prints are DARN sharp. I haven't put
the same frame up side by side with a conventional print, but I would say
that subjectively they are sharper than anything I achieved in a
conventional darkroom. It sounds ludicrous but it is not an uncommon
experience. And no, I don't use Unsharp Mask very heavily.

Thanks to Mark Rabiner I am now using Xtol 1:3 (5 rolls in an 8 roll tank)
and boy you get some edge.  ZING! I back off the agitation towards the end
of the dunk, so I'm only agitating once every 2 mins, then 3 for the last
cycle. This seems to make the edges razor sharp and give some nice
compensation, without actually producing noticeable artefacts. Still using
APX 400 for the fabulous dark tones, but getting a lot of grain, so am going
to try this with tri-X, which gives me less grain than the APX.

The Digital Silver mailing list is turning out to be a lively and
illuminating place... we have all learnt some stuff I think... but kind of
heavy traffic. However, you can get a digest or read it on the web if you
register as a topica.com member. Details at:

    http://www.topica.com/lists/digitalsilver

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com