Subject: [Leica] Gear wear and accidents
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 09:00:32 -0500

While I was thinking of this camera protection thread, I recalled of a
friends mishap with his Leica M3 while I was in Journalism school.

He was photographing a gymnastics meet (where the light was marginal even if
you pushed   Tri-X to 3200 [no magic P3200 then]).  I think the exposure was
1/125 @f2.

Anyway, he was using a 90mm f2 summicron upon  his M3 and his strap broke.
The lens hit in such a way that the lens snapped off from the body clean as
a scored piece of window glass.  The lens mount was still on the lens.

Needless to say his face went white.  He bundled up the pieces and sent the
unit to Professional Camera in NYC, where they replaced several parts and he
was on his way again.  I think that event must have left an impression to
him.  For he is a shooter at a metro these days and every time he hands in
his gear for new gear, his old gear looks absolutely pristine.  Many guys
who get supplied gear usually have it looking really worn. Not all
photographers are hard on their gear or want to be is the final point on
this thread from me.

gck

Leica M, the quiet alternative...

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Gear wear and accidents)