Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality Control & Customer Service (!)
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:41:24 EDT

Steve - not to point out strangeness in your logic, but doesn't the fact that the camera does (typically) run without batteries automatically rule out the batteries being a problem?

<<
<<Just curious, how does a all mechanical camera "die" in the middle of a roll
of film? Could your meter BATTERY have EXPIRED? You know, the M6 continues
to work mechanically without the meter. I think you, rather than the camera
could be the problem.

Steve
Annapolis>>

Steve:

Thanks so much for your helpful response!  NOT!!!  I think I mentioned in my
original posting that the shutter had jammed.  I rewound the film and took it
out of the camera.  I took the lens off and put it back on again.  I put in a
new set of batteries just to make sure that was not the problem.  Nothing I
tried would work.  The shutter stayed jammed.  I also looked inside to make
sure dirt or any solid objects had not jammed the mechanism.  That's why the
camera went back to Leica for servicing.  I have been taking photos for
twenty years, have used many different systems and formats, and I know my way
around cameras and lenses.  So your comment that "I think you, rather than
the camera could be the problem" is presumptuous and rude since you know
nothing about me or the problem at hand.  I am glad that other LUGers have
responded to this both on and off list in more constructive manner.

Muhammad

Muhammad R.K. Chishty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Finance
Graham School of Management