Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS; UV filter and 21mm now 15 mm!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:18:17 -0700

Joe Codispoti wrote:

> Ted,
>
> Use a filter larger than the shade , mount it on an adapted tube to slip
> over the integral shade (which is more of a cradle to protect the front
> element than a shade).

Hi Joe,
This wasn't a problem for me on using a UV with the 15 as there is one
built into the lens which rotates around with a few colour filters. They
are hidden in the lens barrel.

I thought maybe it would be interesting what others would do to protect
the front element as they seem to worry more about protecting them, than
what one might assume, use them all the time.

In all my years I've only had a couple of things happen with the front
element, one recently with the front element on the 15, there is a very
tiny "mark? scratch?" whatever, maybe happened while I had it stuffed in
my photo vest pocket during a shoot. In any event yeah you can see it
but it doesn't show on any frame even when stopped down as far as it'll go.

The other was during a story on arc welders at work and I inadvertently
got way tooooooooooooooooo close to a guy working and a spark of hot
metal landed on the front element of a 28 mm 2.8 and it burnt a zit
right in the glass.  I suppose a filter would have helped in this case,
but it was caused simply because I was working to close to the welder.

Again it never showed in any frames no matter where you focused or how
far you stopped down, so I just forgot about it and went on shooting for
some years never giving it another thought.

I look at filters for protection more as a "mind set" thing rather than
reality of protection. Spending the money on them, if you have a dozen
lenses becomes very expensive.  And in the long run if you're an average
every day amateur shooter I find it hard to believe there is great
danger to their equipment requiring UV's just for protection.  Compared
to pros who are on the go 90% of time shooting and don't use them or use
them merely for a photographic effect, then remove them.

Heck I'd rather use the money to buy film.  And yes I do use a filter or
two on occasion, polarizer mainly and the odd time a softar if I'm
photographing ladies or if I want to enhance a scene in some manner.

But UV's are the choice of the shooter and although we, Jim and I stand
pretty firm about using them on the newer Leica glass merely for
protection,  I suppose if a guy or gal wishes to use them for mental
comfort, so be it.

However, that doesn't mean we'd stand by and let another Leica user who
isn't quite as experienced as many others,  shouldn't be made aware of
the "folly of protection" by placing a UV filter on a $4000 or $5000
lens.  And that is our feelings on the subject, just as we see the
nefarious challenges that come back of disagreement.

Everyone has a point of view, some of ours are well know and can be
expected to come as soon as filters show in a topic line.  And that
being the case, what is the point in challenging each other over
something we re-hashed a dozen times in the past. A possible suggestion
the next time it comes up and that is tweak the poster directly to the
archives. We'd save a bunch of time for picture taking and attempted one upsmanships.

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: WAS; UV filter and 21mm now 15 mm!)
Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] WAS; UV filter and 21mm now 15 mm!)
Message from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?)