Subject: Re: [Leica] why shoot black and white film?
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:41:42 -0700

Martin,

>>Take a look at http://www.ida.liu.se/~marho/photo/vpan/index.html for
some
stuff shot on Ilford FP4 and developed in Rodinal.  Especially the
buildings
in frame two have an etched or charcoal look to them that I don't think
would be possible to do with XP-2, or colour film.<<

I'm on the fence regarding b/w or color for digital. I looked at the photo
you referenced again (always like an excuse to do so. You know I love  your
panoramas). I've played with hundreds of scans -- both b/w and color -- and
I can't say that I see that it makes quantitative difference. I've
generated the etched look you mention from grayscale images of color neg
scans (Don't ask me how. It usually occurs by accident. I'm still learning
much about Photoshop). I'm not sure of the degree of relevence regarding
film type. I think this will be a hot issue in the digital area, and no
doubt there will be more discussions. Just like we discuss camera types.
For instance, given the current limitations regarding resolution and such
in digital imaging, is it really worthwhile to use Leica cameras, as
opposed to say a Canon Rebel? :-).

Dave

Replies: Reply from Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net> (Re: [Leica] why shoot black and white film?)